Friday 6 April 2007

The Virgin Sculpture

The other day I entered the outskirts of the Fine Arts Department to meet a friend I tried observing my surroundings (well I have been taught to look and not merely see). Well there is a parking lot to my left which looks a little deserted. Hey Wait! Did I just see two figures trying to fit themselves into the ‘confined spaces’ of that grey Santro. Well placement has always been a problem, but killing the journalist in me I move a little forward. (we have been taught not to intrude into other’s privacy).
I can hear some chitter chatter from my right. Of course. I must have reached the department. But wait a minute, isn’t this department supposed to be the quietest of all. And here I find three kids engaged in recreation, unaware of anything happening around them. I advance near them and think of offering them a packet of chips that I have in my bag. One of the kids in absolutely rugged clothes is chirping at a gap of 2 seconds, looking through a hole. He signals me to do the same and I get down to see as to what is he tweeting at? And through the fissure I see the Gandhi Bhavan. All of it. One piece. Not an inch here and there. (Gandhi Bhavan is a monument in which is highlighted on the map of Chandigarh and is indeed eternal beauty to look at)
How many works of art are chosen within the paradigm of the universal acceptance of the obvious Indian imagery? The very evident answer- Many. But not many of them have a combination of strategy, maths and ingenuity which places them into the category of eternal work of art. The sculpture outside the Department of Fine Arts is one such example. This figure in the lawn of the department is just there, not drawing many eyeballs at the first glance but speaking volumes about its authenticity. It is as if its saying, ‘Hey check me out, I am true.’
But is it just its strategic shape and position that makes this sculpture special. There is another aspect to it. This was thought of to be a sun, a sun placed on earth.
The best part about his one is that it does not possess any pretentious baggage. So much so that even a small child can understand and avail the services that this sculpture has to offer.
A beauty of its own, this piece gives something extraordinary.

2 comments:

Pallav said...

are you talking about the round stone thingie which lies near Gandhi Bhawan?

Never share your chips with strangers. ;)

Alesea said...

Nothingman..

yup...d same sculpture....d one in d fine arts lawn
n ya i dint share my chips...lols