Monday 28 May 2007

Sleepless in Seattle!

I am quite sleepless tonight. That is precisely one reason why I am posting this post.

But I am not in Seattle! Because as far as I know, only nerds and geeks reside there. And how can somebody as ‘creative and colourful’ as me be a part of the world which is all about pairing down of all frills and flounces.

How can I be here? A world where silicon rules. And yes even people stay here. And yes different people with different viewpoints but still members of the geek guild. It is well-known that they would love to watch Star trek reruns then go to the college prom. Though I am still trying to maintain an objective viewpoint and preserve the fact that geeks are the most resourceful of all. After all, the complete world today stands on them. But I think life did change for the computer when geeks happened to it or vice versa.

But silicon? I can’t do without it but more then that I can’t do without looking at things with so many different dimensions. Well I don’t choose my thoughts and emotions sensibly and go according to what I feel is right to whatever degree. I have never ever believed in the Feng shui fact that clearing out the clutter in my living will clear the clutter in my life. Because I feel everything including the clutter is a part of my life and can be used in some or the other way. I don’t like to give away clothes and things (books, my old bylines, wrappers of gifts given to me, old birthday cards, kiddie friendship bands) that I haven’t used in the last few years because of my emotional connection with these things.

But how the hell can I see Mr Bill Gates in his grey business suit entering the Microsoft building.

“Hey Mr. Gates, How are you?”

One look at me and he says “Who are you?”

“Well I have read quite a lot about you. How about a cup of coffee?”

He is shocked at my randomness and thinks that I am some crazy admirer of his. (This is quite evident from his face.)

“But who are you?” he repeats himself

“I am illogical.”

“Well those people can’t set foot in my company.”

“So you think that all the people in your company are logical, rational and coherent?”

“Without a doubt, Yes.”

“Cool. So what is the reason behind chips and cookies, as in calling them by these names- such regular features of our computers? Well! So much for the love of food?”

“Nah, there is some other reason to this. Mike??”

“Well Mr. Gates, everything does not have Yes or No as its answer. There are things which don’t have an answer. Do you like computers?”

“Of course I do.”

“And flowers in your garden?”

“Yeah. They are pretty things.”

“How about the sky?”

“Well I don’t know. It can be different at different times.”

“Try checking out the drawing that your daughter made with her wax crayons today. It’s a landscape with a grey sky, winging eagles, buildings that are black and its written at the top- ‘The world today’. But don’t you think that the sky is supposed to be turquoise blue with pretty sparrows in the sky (By the way I haven’t seen a sparrow in ages), elevated glass buildings. One thing is common though- ‘The world today’.”

And I laugh like mad and fly away like a genome into the sky. Well I am yet to meet the eagles. I enter my room and go back to sleep.

Sleepless? Not anymore.

5 comments:

SiD said...

It is well-known that they would love to watch Star trek reruns then go to the college prom
Well, you can not say it for All the Geeks!!

And as regards The Sky.. I don't know if the sky is balck or the eyes with which we are looking at it..

Alesea said...

@Sid
Well i dint say that for all the geeks...dats the general perspective and i still maintain quite an objective viewpoint for them...try checking out my article in TOI on geeks tomorrow and you will know

And as for the sky....we are still trying to anwer this question...to me it would really depend

Bharti Bedi said...

hey..um proud to be a geek...
altho i thnk i hav lost my powers now..lol...
P.S-this is no family conspiracy against u..lolol

Bharti Bedi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alesea said...

@Island girl
No i guess u still have some of em...n ya i know it isnt a conspiracy...lolss its just dat d family is getting into reading my blog...well nobody else is dere in any case..haha