Wednesday 11 July 2007

1st bout of Creativity

Well the credit for the idea of this post goes to The Island Girl. Her insistence and my enthusiasm has delivered this raw post.
We did an assignment on the first day of my masters. It was a creative writing assignment and we had to make a short story including 5 words that did not really have any connection each other.
The words were DOOR, AXE, MIRROR, DRAIN, LEG

A Garlicky Gratis

It was the worst possible start to the week. Someone actually tampered with my morning fix.
At 9.00 am I am in a coffee shop in the suburbs, waiting for the delivery of my drug of choice. I see myself in the MIRROR towards the side of the counter.

The barista shouts out something I don’t catch and places a paper bucket on the bar.

A woman holding a similar cup approaches me and says, “Oops! Sorry that’s mine. I picked up the wrong one.”

She guiltily puts the one she has been holding back. I pick up mine, the one she has been holding back. I pick up mine, the one she has returned and after coming out look back through the glass DOOR. She smiles at me (Ooh, those cherry cheeks.) And I breathe into my divine AXE deo (dude you never let me down!) Her lymph like figure was as ravishing as Tendulkar’s drive to the LEG side

Anyways I reach office. I take a sip and spit it all over my keyboard. In those 30 seconds, that she was holding my drink, she apparently added half a kilo of cinnamon, a slice of ginger and something tangy which smells suspiciously of garlic.

So the coffee goes down the DRAIN. The day gets worse as the coffee machine in the office catches flu and the owner of a small edifice which to a great extent looks like a barn turned ‘chai ki dukaan’ dies (He serves some dreadful coffee, but its coffee..) Things start taking its toll as one of my appointments get cancelled. (Well I was expecting my drink there.) As I reach home at night, I straightaway head for the kitchen. But as luck would have it, the coffee box is empty. All I do is, deep breathe into it.

....................................

As 2nd year begins tomorrow, its showtime again!

3 comments:

Bharti Bedi said...

hey gud gud...
n have u made some changes?? coz i remember being the only one in class who didnt use AXE in the literal sense...anyways...get set for the second year...
good show madam...hehe

Zubin said...

haha that was funny!

i was given a similar thing task in a coaching insti. the words were cataclysm, ardent, manacles, phantasmagoria, nihilism. The topic given was Unfaithful. i had to jot down a summary in 10 min.

so i went on...

The Zimbabwe Tour of India saw how petty issues bring about cataclysmic changes in a system. The then coach Greg Chappell sent a slanderous email to BCCI accusing captain Sourav to be a misfit. The episode put manacles on Sourav's cricketing career. To an ardent cricket follower, shades of nihilism were evident when Chappell middle-fingered at a mob. On the other hand, Ganguly's cricket career resurrected, very much like a phantasmagoria. Chappell happily greeted him back to a team which had proved to be anemic without him, showing Chappell's unfaithfulness to his own beliefs.

The entire class burst into laughter. Though few would agree with the content (both semantically and factually), I guess i'd made maximum out of a 10 min period with five remotely related words.

Thanx for visiting my blog.
Cheers!

Alesea said...

@ Island Girl
Yeh did make that Axe wala change..had put grinding one's axe somewhere but it wasnt working too well....sanjay sir ka bhoot aa gaya hai tumme...thanks anywayz

@Codger
Hey liked this one...it actually made me smile, if not laugh...coz the words are not as simple as the words for assignment...thnks for linking